Saturday, December 09, 2006

Banjo On My Mind

The nature of farming involves just that: the natural evolution of life and death.

The births of new animal babies are always awesome. The wonder of discovery and play for the baby is especially exciting to me. "Hurry get the camara, fill-in-babies-name is chasing a chicken." "So-and-so is romping in the field." Days filled watching babies is the most in entertainment!

Then there is the economic aspect of death and the accidental deaths. This is the part of farming I will never get accustomed to - the part that breaks my heart.

The death of humans does not hurt me nearly as much, as most people are just assholes, but most animals are loving, trusting and caring beings. I've never killed a person but do not think I would hesitate to say shoot the bitch that microwaved her baby.

The first Longhorn born here on the farm has to go. LL Banjo Rocket King is going to become food this Sunday.


Despite being a registered Longhorn steer, he is really worthless for anything other than the fact his daddy was an award winning show bull and he is georgeous to look at.

I remember the day he was born, June 5, 2004. We were making farm rounds on the golf cart when I spotted him with his mother. Picture me diving off the cart, yelling, "Baby" and running to hold him. So precious and newly damp.

Even now he's sweet looker and he comes to his name, Banjo. In fact, I have been "special feeding" him sweet feed and corn for the past month, knowing the day was coming: December 10th.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have named him but I really did expect to keep him - wishful thinking!? But such is the nature of farming.

Will I be able to eat the hamburger or steak he will provide? I don't know. We will retain his hide and horns. Will I be able to tolerate seeing his beautiful hide and awesome horns? Time will tell. However, I will not be the person with deer heads and cattle horns on my wall.


(Sorry no pix - maybe later. I don't have access to my home server to upload pix - that's another story....)

1 comment:

Barb said...

That must be so hard. I guess I thought farming people would get used to that stuff. I prefer to think that all meat come from the meat warehouse.